Occupational burnout is one of the significant issues in the workplace therefore, it can negatively impact the employees’ mental health.
It is a state of physical and emotional exhaustion and is often accompanied by a loss of motivation and a sense of detachment from work.
There are several reasons leading occupational burnout happens to employees but here are some that we would want to highlight:
- Improper work-life balance
- Intense workloads that are unaligned with employees’ skills and roles in the organization
- Insufficient amount of support and acknowledgment for their efforts
These lead to prolonged periods of stress and exhaustion which ultimately impacts the employees’ mental health condition.
- Anxiety Disorder: Burnout often leads to constant worry and restlessness. Employees find it difficult to manage daily tasks, set priorities, and maintain mental balance.
- Depression: Long-term burnout can result in feelings of hopelessness and loss of interest in work that was once enjoyable. Employees will start to be cynical as they have no motivation to continue enjoying their personal and professional lives.
- Reduced Self-Esteem: Employees start to doubt their capabilities, feeling incompetent and unworthy, further damaging their mental health.
- Social Isolation: Employees will withdraw from social interactions and isolate themselves from colleagues. Loneliness and despair make it even more challenging for employees to open up to people, articulate their own concerns, and regain mental stability.
- Relationship Strain: Exhausted employees have less energy and patience for loved ones including family and friends, compounding the burden on their poor mental health condition.
It is vital to recognize the signs and take proactive steps to safeguard employees’ mental health.
Providing resources for stress management is one of the crucial steps in order to support employees’ mental health and well-being and prevent the negative impact of occupational burnout.
Check out our training programs and contact us for more information on stress management training.
Let’s foster a culture of mental and physical well-being, productivity, and success in the workplace!